Thursday, December 29, 2011

Conventions held in malls and the guards

(NOTE THIS IS BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE ONLY :))) )

I don't think that I'm the only one that thinks of this.. but don't you think guards in malls are already over reacting? And also aren't malls being so unreasonable lately too? Like they do everything to make conventions sooo inconvenient for cosplayers. I do not disturb the peace in malls or anything. I am also disciplined and I know etiquettes during cons lol. I've been cosplaying for 6 years hahaha I think I already know what I'm doing. And my point in this is I want to share my experience in the changes of the cons before and now.


I know that I am not the only one getting these lines:


"Cosplayers are not allowed in the CR, get out"
- I don't understand why guards do not allow the cosplayers in the cr even when doing their make-up. Sure they gave an area for cosplayers to change but how about the make-up? we need mirrors. Please it is not like we were blocking the way and not letting the other customers move.



"Cosplayers are not allowed here, they disturb the mall's customers"
This is the rudest thing that I heard and not only once but many times already. Cosplayers are also customers in the malls! So if you encounter this tell the guard "FYI we are TOO customers of this mall so you have no right to tell that to me."
If you're an owner of a mall and you tell your staff/guards to tell this to a cosplayer who buys from the mall, do not hold a con there. A lot of cosplayers eat there for sure then you treat them as nobodies. tsk tsk.


"Do not sit on the floor"
For me this can be tolerated, but I just hope that guards would be considerate to understand that we've been
walking or standing for hours and a little rest wouldn't hurt. Plus there are a lot who wear shoes, which after a few hours would definitely hurt. I don't understand why guards wouldn't allow it for even 15 minutes.


I hope they change their rules because it is not that good at all..
I was starting to hate SMX Mall of Asia but now Im starting to hate SM megamall too.

7 comments:

  1. Yeah... I know how you feel. I think Ozine should rent all the trade halls in megamall for the fest so that we could have a place to sit on.

    ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. @iyasu~
    - Very true.. They should also think of the cosplayers and congoers.. Because It's not like the 5th floor provides benches for all.. They should give an area for the crowd if they want to control it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still think the last "I AI ANIME" and "Cosplay Mania 2011" were very good examples for these kind of problems.

    They took two or three halls for their event and had one hall exclusively for the "tambays" or con-goers/non-participating cosplayers to hang out.. it wasn't the best fitting room or a place to do our make-up, but at least it gave us shelter and a place to stay, other than hanging outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^but after having observed the intentions of the guards, SOME of them have good reasons in doing what they do. Half the time, it's not their fault.

    For example, there could be this group of cosplayers just randomly hanging out in one corner, absolutely not disturbing anyone or anything. Then a mob or some fans approach them to have a picture.. then the crowd goes bigger. That crowd WILL start disturbing other people & will draw too much attention.

    There are two solutions here: 1) that very group could kindly refuse any request pictures, if they knew they would cause a scene. or 2) The mall guard approaches and stops whatever causes the scene.. wether it be the mall-goers or the cosplayers.

    See what I mean? I speak from experience, both as a cosplayer and a mall-goer. same goes for the CR problems. more can be read here: http://jaroukaparade.blogspot.com/2011/04/protocol-and-etiquette-guide-of-cosplay.html

    and here: http://jaroukaparade.blogspot.com/2011/12/protocol-and-etiquette-guide-of-cosplay.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would definitely agree with it just like what happen last time i attend best of anime last sept.17-18 that was because we want inside the mall area to eat in a fast food chain going down the escalator some other customers took pictures and as we got down walk alittle away from the escalator one guard said to us"bawal po dito ang cosplayers meron kayong naka designated na area nyo naman eh" kaya tuloy nagalit yung isa ko kasama....ehhh ikaw ba naman sitahin kakain lang naman and it's not the cosplayers fault if the crowd wants to take pictures of you out on a public area....shheshhhh

    ReplyDelete
  6. @katz
    thank you for sharing that. But yeah I know that they're intentions are good and its their job. But they should tell these to people properly and not in a rude and mad manner. And they shouldn't blame every inconvenience that can be experience in CRs and malls to cosplayers, We're customers there too so I don't get the logic. If it concerns the Cr wig styling incident, I could understand but they shouldn't generalize that all cosplayers do it. At least they should give cosplayers 15-30 minutes to use the cr to change and do their make-up at least :)



    @Otaku 4 life ^^
    -> That's the problem with these guards.. They think of cosplayers as eyesores during cons. They should say it to cosplayers properly and not in a rude manner. The point of me sharing this is actually to share my experiences because I really think that a lot of the guards in malls are very rude to cosplayers. I know it's their job to do the crowd control and all but it's not like we're destroying the malls. :)) lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I experienced one. Just because I was cosplaying, this guy won't take my order and make an advance call. Here's the scenario. This guy took down the orders of the people in line before me and noted it in his pad. When it was my turn, he shifted to another line, then came back to my line and asked the person after me. Grrr...
    This was on Megamall food court.

    ReplyDelete